Which English test should I take?

english tests

If you are asked to take an English test, you can consider one of the following internationally recognised tests:
  1. IELTS (Academic): By far the most popular for UK and Australia bound students, but equally recognised in the US.
  2. TOEFL: Most popular among US bound students, but is increasingly being replaced by IELTS.
  3. Pearson (PTE): This is the latest test introduced in the market and is less recognised than IELTS and TOEFL, but is commonly accepted by MBA programs in the US

So which test should I take?

The 3 tests are fairly comparable in terms of their level of difficulty. The main difference lies in the way the speaking component is tested. On the IELTS, you speak face-to-face with a human. On the TOEFL and PTE Academic, you speak into a computer. The recording is then evaluated by a human for TOEFL, and a computer program for PTE.

A more important consideration is whether the test is recognised by the university you are applying to. For example since April 2015, many UK universities have stopped accepting PTE and TOEFL test results, and requires all students to complete the UKVI version of IELTS.

IELTS registration centre

ielts registration centre

theRightU is currently a Gold partner of British Council which administers the IELTS test. We will be most glad to assist students with IELTS registraton at no cost (other than the standard registration fees). Chat online with your education planner to find out more.

Meet us at the upcoming university fair

Speak with overseas university representatives and attend free seminars at the largest overseas education fair in Singapore. Register for free today!